Sozopol is located on the southern Black Sea coast, 35 km south of Bourgas, 60 km from the International Airport and 70 km from the popular beach resort “Sunny Beach”. Sozopol is located on two picturesque peninsulas. It is the oldest town on the Bulgarian coast. It was founded in 610 BC and originally named Apollonia in honor of the god Apollo. Its present name – Sozopol, the city obtained in 330 BC after the adoption of Christianity.
The current Sozopol is a favorite tourist place with unforgettable atmosphere with narrow stone streets, the old stony walls and wooden windows, the fishers’ boats, small cozy restaurants offering fresh fish, traditional meals, cocktails and desserts. Many stands and small shops offer souvenirs and arts.
In the town of Sozopol tourists can visit the Historical museum, Christians churches and the ruins of the monastery “St. John” which is situated on the big island.
- Near Sozopol there are wonderful wide beaches with a thin golden sand:
- the Central beach – between the old and the new town, close to the park;
- the „Harmanite” beach – offers many different beach attractions;
- the „Golden fish” beach known as king’s beach is situated on a silent and calm bay very near to Sozopol.
Culture festival “Apolonia”
At the beginning of September each year the Old Town is a host of the cultural festival “Apolonia”. The Sozopol meets Bulgarian artists from different arts. Each tourist can enjoy the concerts, theatres, exhibitions.
Excursions and tours
- Boat tours to the island “St. John” for picnics.
- Boat tour along the Ropotamo river.